Thursday, April 9, 2009

First wedding Scheduled!!!

Yeah I am soooo excited!! I have scheduled my first wedding to photograph in June. I know I will prolly get alot of negative vibes from some photographers but you know everyone has to start somewhere. I have been doing a lot of shooting and reading and practicing here lately trying to learn all the ends and outs of everything. Some professionals say that I need to 2nd shoot and be doing it for a long time before I do my fist wedding by myself. I live in a very very SMALL town and people around here just can not afford nor will they pay $1000 or more to have their wedding photographed. Now don't get me wrong some will but for the most part people around here just will not. Instead they will get a family member or a friend to shoot their wedding. Well I am not a professional but I happen to have just a little bit more experience than Uncle Bubba does so what is the problem for me to help them out and give them some good photos and also in return they help me out and give me the practice. The wedding I will be shooting will be a small wedding at a small church. I have a friend that has also been doing some photography work and wants to go and 2nd shoot with me. I think between the two of us we will be able to get some good shots.
My husband's mother would always play a song titled " Aint nobody going to break my stride" before she passed away when she was down and out. Tina I am going to borrow your song and sing it to the top of my lungs!! AINT NOTBODY GONNA BREAK MY STRIDE!!!!!! I am going to have confidence and continue with what I believe I can do!!!!

For any new photographers GO for it!!! If any of my little knowledge will help I will sure offer it up to you. I believe we can ALL help each other!!!

3 comments:

Rosjuane said...

Okay so I so don't want this to turn into a fight and I in no way mean this negativly!! I'm glad to see you out trying to do your thing. Everyone does have to start somewhere. The point I want to point out is simply that when you do become a pro or at least have put in the time and entergy that we have then you will be on our side of the argument and you will TOTALLY see where we are comming from. You will be able to pick apart a newbies picture just as easily as you will be able to see what is wrong with your pictures at that time. I know mine aren't perfect but that's b/c I have done this long enough, read, studied, and thrown it out there for critique from the "real" pros and I can see it for myself. Again I don't mean this mean, I'm not bashing you, and I'm wishing you all the luck in the world!! But I think after you do a couple of weddings you will see why people charge so much. I charge $1000 dollars and I totally see why others charge $3000!! It's alot of work, and should be worth it in the end. It's suppose to be the most special day of your life. The bride doesn't mind paying $1000 for a dress and spending $10000 on the wedding total. What will you have to pull from that if you don't have great photos. What will all that money mean in 5 years if you don't have photos that show it all.

Again good luck. I'm not looking for a fight, don't want one, not bashing you, critizing, critiquing, or anything else. Just want to throw our side out there. I have reached a point of not worring about the newbies who do it but accepting them and watching them grow. They don't affect my buisness and they will eventually feel my pain.

Lindsey Rowland said...

Rosjuane, I don't want to fight and I hope you didn't take this in a wrong way. I understand the hard work you have done to get your business where it is and I admire that. I have been on other sites about photography and have asked some professional for a little advice and instead of cheering someone on they go oh another newbie trying to shoot a wedding. I understand weddings are hard work and yall do deserve every penny you make off them. I just wanted a little encourgement and suggestions from others who are experienced. This is one of them cases where the bride and groom are not willing to pay that kinda money to have photos done. If I would have said no they woulda just gotten anybody to take them. So I was using this as practice and experience for me and to hopefully give them some good photos. I honestly ENJOY taking photos. I am always so excited after a photo shoot that I can't wait to get home and put them on the computer just too look at them. I do understand that I have LOTS to learn.... I guess that I thought the pros would kinda help point me in the right direction and give me a little guidence and not just bash me for taking on this shoot. It was the ones from the other site. Sorry if I offened anyone I was just venting my anger. I love looking at all your work. You are a wonderful photographer and I know you have said that you are a self taught photographer and I admire that about you also. Hope you are not mad at me because of that post. I would love to take any advice that you are willing to give. Thanks,
Lindsey

Rosjuane said...

No I'm not mad at all. Everyone has to start somewhere and you are right not everyone can afford me. Best thing to do is Portfolio Build. Practice, read, practice more, try new stuff, and learn editing. Shooting manual will have a huge affect. Learn your camera. Learn to use it to its full power and how to manipulate it to do what you want. Don't let it decide what to do. The main reason you are getting slack on those boards is b/c (don't take this the wrong way) but you started this as a buisness b/f you learned how to do it right. They don't mind helping a newbie who is eager to learn they just won't help someone who starts a buisness and then wants someone to teach them the ropes. I am the same way. I'm more than willing to help someone learn to use their camera, but don't come ask me after you have started a buisness. If you were good enough to start the buisness then you don't need my help anymore. Well that isn't exactly right we all need help, I still ask b/c I don't know everything, but we expect newbies to know the basics. (None of this is directed only to you, more to the frustration of others). Point is you don't go buy a tool belt with a wrench, plunger and so low rise pants and start a plumbing buisness. Again not pointing fingers at you just sheading some light from all the photographers and why you are catching hell on there. But if you stick on it they will teach you alot!! You will have to put your big girl panties on cause they are going to rip you apart and spit you out but if you will take it and do diffrent next time you will see a diffrence in each picture you take after. In a years time you will be like holy cow I was terrible!! (not that you are but you will see) Look at some of the one year post from some of them.

background

hits

stellan

Prayers for Stellan

Followers

Font



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com